Thursday, June 5, 2008

One is the loneliest number.

Two can be as bad as one, but it's perfect for EA's Army of Two. Let me start by saying that trailers and commercials failed to excite me in any way. So I really wasn't looking forward to this one but I decided to give it a try anyway. You have been forewarned: Spoilers ahead.

Campaign: In the campaign you play as either Elliot Salem or Tyson Rios. I played as Salem. You two start as a couple of army rangers in training. In training you will learn every single aspect of gameplay mechanics for the rest of the game. After training you're sent off to fight in the war in Simole. There you meet Clyde, who is a real prick. And right after you kill his bounty for him, while he sat back and watched, he takes all the credit and money. What a prick. Then you get picked up by some company called SSC who hire you as a pair of contractors. You go through quite a few wars and missions only to find out SSC was helping the enemy all along. They set you up to accidentally kill a U.S. senator. You fight back, clear your names and kill SSC leader, Dalton, and his little lackey, Clyde. I recommend you play on medium or high, because low is absolutely insulting as to how easy it is. Even with the weakest weapon configuration I could come up with, the enemies were still just dropping like flies. I like how you can change around your weapons in the middle of the mission. It makes experimenting with weapons easy. It was an overall fun campaign. If you can though, play with a friend. The AI of your partner can be pretty stupid. A lot of times I got downed he either stood there in enemy fire, or he dragged us both into it.

Versus: In versus mode two teams of contractors are both after the same objectives. You fight not only the enemy team, but also some NPC's like in the campaign. The goal is to gain as much money as you can by the end of the match. You get money by killing NPC's, the enemy team and most of all, completing objectives. You can find these odd dispensers where you can use some of your money to buy weapons and armor. Just save some to stay ahead of the enemy team. Oh, and spawn-killing is extremely occasional.

Final Thoughts: I liked it and I would definitely recommend it if you like action. There are a lot of jokes that Rios and Salem are gay for each other. I really don't get a gay vibe from them... most of the time anyways. There were a few things hinting towards that. Once I did the appreciation thing right after we slaughtered a bunch of enemies and Rios said, "Salem, Salem, Salem" in a very musical tone. My reaction: >_< Please stop talking now. My over-all score, 9 out of 10.

Thanks for reading. This is The Blade, signing off.

No comments: